Image Map

The Unknown Frock

Monday 25 February 2013



I have quite a good memory when it comes to clothes shopping, probably cos I don't do it often enough for things to blur and get mixed up in my brain. I can usually recall pretty accurately which shopping trip I bought something on, which charity shop it came from or more importantly, how much it cost.  This frock is a rare exception.  By process of elimination I now think it was from a local charity shop (possibly the weird little Animal Rescue place that has closed down now) but I have no real memory of where I bought it or when. I didn't even remember it was in the wardrobe until I came across it the other day.

And it's a funny one. It looks like crap on a hanger - just a big shapeless piece of black corduroy. It has no brand or size labels.  It has a whacking great hem (possibly taken up from something much longer). It has one pocket, not two, and that's found not on a side seam, but in a curious position closer to the middle instead.  Odd. I assume it was handmade. 

None of that really matters though, it just adds to the air of mystery. I'm very grateful to that unknown person who made it and then gave it away. It's the perfect charity shop find - fits me just right (ok, with the aid of a big belt but I think that helps jazz it up a bit) and made from such super thick, warm material that I don't want to take it off. I imagine it cost about a pound as well, so that's good! Oh how I miss that charity shop. Everything was BOGOF and they had the odd gem tucked away in the clothing rails.










Cord frock - who knows?
Gold flecked tights - Marks & Spencer
Belt - Primark
Shirt & ring - Dorothy Perkins
Shoes - c/o Matalan
Necklace - Accessorize


You know I can't resist a good wobbly, falling-over photo.

ps - apologies for the blurry photos. This is what happens when you take outfit pics at 4.30pm on a winter weekday and aren't very good at standing still.

11 comments:

  1. You may not be able to remember where you got it from but damn it's a gem x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love it when you find a gem in your wardrobe you'd forgotten about! And that frock is fab- I've seen something really similar in Topshop recently for about a squillion pounds! It looks lovely with the print blouse, too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. mystery dress, love it! Looks great, but how bizarre is that pocket?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, how envious am I, I love cordhuroy, and wish I had a dress too, especially a lovely Pinafore one!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the dress with the shirt! I do have a few items that the details of where it was from and how much now do seem a bit sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH that looks a perfect winter dress. I don't think I have any items I cannot recall buying, although I do have a lot of strange no label/old label stuff from chazzas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shirt too, v pretty! Nice fally-over shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit. I too, am strangely good at remembering where things came from, how much they cost etc, most of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your blog is looking lovely! I have that blouse and I never wear it because my mum says it makes me look frumpy but I'm going to wear it tomorrow anyway because it's dead nice x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress, I am so jealous of your charity shop skillz!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress - but loving the shoes even more :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm easily pleased - a simple comment will cheer me up no end. So do drop me a line below...

Sorry to readers who prefer to comment anonymously but I am getting clobbered with spam at the moment so have had to disable anon comments. Feel free to get in touch with me in another way!